Sunday, January 15, 2017

Announcing: Grace and Glory Book Club!

I've hit the January doldrums. 

The Christmas sugar high has worn off.

My New Year's resolutions are already tarnished.

The kids have been sick, off and on ever since Christmas.  I, myself have been feeling under the weather for just about as long.  As I sipped ginger tea this morning and stared into the grey, drizzly abyss, I wondered what I could do to pull myself out of this funk?  My old standbys are not reliable or trustworthy anymore.  

Take one part Schedule Overhaul, mix with equal parts Fresh Diet and More Exercise.  Stir together with Brisk Determination, pop into the oven of Real Life and Pray Desperately while it stews, uh, bakes.  Eat at your own risk.

But this year, I don't have any Brisk Determination.  My "get up and go" got up and jumped in a lake.  Diet is an extremely iffy proposition, just thinking about food makes me sick.  If I don't eat enough, I get sick.  If I eat too much, I get sick.  What sounds good today is repulsive tomorrow.  Yes, bread is more of a broken reed than the staff of life.

Because of the nausea, everything else is more difficult, hence Schedule Overhaul is well nigh impossible.  I just can't predict what's going to work from day to day.  And that leaves me feeling anxious and unmotivated.

Pray Desperately is about the only thing left.  And that's what I was doing this morning.  My thoughts turned to uplifting books.  Which book should I read next?  I need something that will encourage, challenge, entertain and inspire.  Stepping Heavenward immediately came to mind.  I love that book!  I have read it more times than I can count.  And yet, I get something new out of it every time.  The only thing that would make reading this book for the umpteenth time even better would be if I could share the experience with all my friends!

So, this is what I propose: A Book Club!  We could all read Stepping Heavenward together and share our thoughts and insights in the comments section.  I could interview some of you ladies that are in various stages of their Christian walk and different seasons of life.  I have several guest bloggers picked out that could bring a fresh voice.  I'm really getting excited!

Here is the basic plot: Katie is given a journal for her 16th birthday.  She opens her journal on January 15, 1831 with ever so many good resolutions (made while snug and warm in bed).  Of course, she spends so much time with her noble and exalted plans, she utterly loses track of time, is late for breakfast, misses morning prayers and rushes off to school without wearing her warm boots in direct defiance of her mother.  You are just going to have to get your own book to find out what happens next!  

The cover pronounces it, "One Woman's Journey to Godliness".  But it is in no way stuffy or preachy.  I find it completely relatable.  Whether you are a teenager, single woman serving God, engaged, newlywed, mother or beloved mentor, there is something in here for you.  Along the way you will laugh, shake your head and wipe away a few tears.  You will recognize yourself, both the person you once were and the one you long to be.  And let me speak a few words to the guys, or rather, I'll let Elisabeth Elliot do it:

"This book is a treasure of both godly and womanly wisdom told with disarming candor and humility, yet revealing a deep heart's desire to know God.  We need such intimate accounts, need them desperately when the word commitment is so little understood and so seldom practiced.  I do not hesitate to recommend it to men, who need to better understand the wives they live with, and to any woman who wants to walk with God."

   So there you have it, something for every one!

If you are in, let me know by leaving a comment here or on my Facebook page.  It will be helpful for me to know I'm not in this on my own.  If I have participators that will hold me accountable, then I will be more likely to see this project through.

We will read one chapter a week, beginning today.  On Saturdays I will post my thoughts and open discussion.  If you haven't already, follow me on Facebook under Chores of Opportunity for further discussion.  You can purchase the book online at any discount book site or as a Kindle download.
You can get it here.





Chapter 1
                   Ready,
                            Set,
                                   Go!