Friday, June 26, 2015

Rules for Radicals





The season is changing.

I can feel it in the air.

The past month I have struggled to arrange into words the feelings and impressions that have been rolling across my heart.

I have battled to understand the heaviness, the darkness that I feel pressing against my soul. 

I wanted a target to hit, a goal to aim for, a platform to speak on, a flag pole to raise my banner where the world can see it.

Which banner?

There are so many "causes", so many "rights" being fought over.

Civil Rights
State's Rights
Free Speech
Gun Rights
Gay and Lesbian Rights
The Right to Live
and
The Right to Die
Right to Work
Right to Healthcare
Right to Livable Wage
Reproductive Rights

I, being a first born, homeschooled, smarty pants Southerner, want to stand up and voice my unequivocal opinion on each and every issue.

If I owned a flag pole, it would be festooned with banners all up and down the length of it.

But does the world really need me trumpeting my opinions on their rights or lack thereof?

NO.

The world needs Jesus.

America needs Jesus.

I am a CHRIST-ian, not a Republican.

Today, this very morning, I heard the call.  It's time to be radical.  That does not mean raising or lowering a specific flag.  I don't know if anyone has ever come to Christ as the result of viewing their neighbor's flag  pole.

No, it's not the flag on a pole, it's the Man on a cross.

14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

John 3:14-21


This is what radical looks like.

God became flesh, took the sins of the world on Himself, died for His enemies and turned those enemies into sons and heirs.

If you want to exercise your freedom of speech, let this be what you say.

If you are determined to come under fire for saying something unpopular and controversial, let it be for this.

I am by nature a people please-er.  I like to make people feel good about themselves.  I carry on small talk with random strangers with ease.  This is a wake-up call to me to dispense with the small talk.  We're talking about life and death here!  In the same amount of time that I can good natured-ly complain about the weather in the checkout line, I could tell someone what Jesus has done for me.  

Instead of informing the teller who I intend to vote for (and they should too!) I can tell them that there is no salvation in any other name but Jesus Christ.

Instead of shrieking that it's "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!", I could be explaining that every sin paints a distorted picture of the character of God.  There are no "big" sins and "little" sins.  Every sin requires the blood of the innocent Lamb of God to wash it away.

So, why don't I do that already?

It's radical.
It's uncomfortable.
It might make someone mad.
I might look and/or feel ridiculous.

The seasons are changing.  
Something big is around the corner.

 It's time to take a stand.   It's time to refuse to be silent.

It's time to be a true radical.
   
The weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds.  2 Corinthians 10:4