Saturday, September 20, 2014

It's A Jungle Over Here

"God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble.

Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed,
And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea."

Psalm 46:1-2

The earth is quaking and trembling around here.  And it's not just because I live in Oklahoma!
Every day this week has brought a fresh and totally unexpected trial.  Sure, the first several days the trials were pretty small.  As in, the local grocery store didn't have the advertised picnic roast that I had planned on purchasing at $1.79 a pound.  Disaster with a capital D!  Of course, this is my Hormonal Crazy Lady Week, as my darling husband has repeatedly pointed out . . .  But from Wednesday on, this has been a whole different ball game.


I am in awe of all that has happened.

I am in awe of all that my God has done.


There is so much I can't say.

I have neither the permission nor the ability.  And, some things just haven't reach a conclusion.

You might could say, "Stayed tuned for The Rest Of The Story".  I just don't know how or when that story will conclude. 

Nevertheless, God is still our refuge and our strength.  Come what may, He is my only foundation.  And the couple dozen times I forgot that and reached for a life rope, it has crumbled into a poison ivy vine in my hands.  

Please forgive the weird metaphor.  I grew up in the country, climbing trees and swinging like Tarzan.  I have climbed a few poison ivy vines.  It's never a good idea.

Anyways, it's been a rough week.  I needed out of the house!  
I wanted some fresh air! 
Sunshine! 
Wide open spaces!
Exhausted and smelly children!

 A trip to the zoo was clearly in order.


A field trip to the zoo with our church homeschool group had been in the works for a month.  It wound up being postponed.  Since our family has a zoo pass, I decided to forge ahead on my own.

This is my "Taking Five Children To The Zoo By My Self" Game Face

 Cy made the PBJ's.  I filled the water bottles.  Then I made power smoothies to drink on the way.  Best decision of the day!  I am going to remember that trick.  We arrived at the zoo fashionably late, at 12:30.  Since we had just inhaled a Chocolate Raspberry Banana smoothie, we were reasonably full and able to meander at will.

Meandering is the second secret to a happy zoo trip.  Take time to smell the monkey poo . . .



Elle has perfected the art of Meandering


Alvin looks so much like my dad at this age :-)

She can be sweet . . .

. . .Or sour!






 We had a gorgeously cool and overcast day.  All the animals were out.  We got to witness a Rhino fight, hear the Lions roar and watch a carnivorous bird eat a rat!


Alvin narrowly escaped being eaten by a dinosaur . . .


The Aldabra Tortoise is one of my favorite critters!

This is another one of my favorite critters!  

Dee was hoping I would let everyone know, he is hanging by one arm fairly high off the ground, suspended by a slender bamboo shoot.  I call him my Lemur.

Ana just soaked it all in.  She was an absolute angel all day.  Happy 7 Month Birthday, Ana-kins!

I just thought I was going to get a National Geographic shot
It is impossible to stay down for long with this crew.  I thank God for my sticky, overstimulated little blessings.  

It was a good day!

It will be a good tomorrow.