Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Most Restful Two Hours Of My Mommy Career - Vacation 2014 Part 4

Last time on "Do You Know Where Your Children Are?" :

A lady approached me.

"Do you have a little blond haired boy and blond haired girl?"

"Uh, maybe?"

"They were found wandering the halls.  They said they were looking for their mommy."

Cue creepy organ music . . .

I squinted up at the hotel clerk, trying to form a coherent sentence.  Something that wouldn't make me sound even more like the irresponsible mother I clearly am.

"Well, I actually have three blond boys, and two little girls . . .  But the baby isn't blond . . .  She's more of a strawberry brunette . . .  I mean it's just fuzz, really . . .  The baby, that is . . .  My two year old is blond . . . OK, where is their daddy!  I am going to kill him!!"

Sure enough, noses smushed against the lobby glass, were my children.  Elle wasn't wearing any pants.  Just a soggy diaper.

I don't even remember what they said as to why they were there.  A patron had found them wandering the halls and brought them down to the lobby where they said their mommy had gone to get coffee.

  Snores greeted me when I flung open the door to our room.  Rob and Cy were both conked out.  Dee was in the tub.  Ana was doing her best to raise the dead with her ear splitting wails, but obviously to no success.

I quickly got everyone else into bed.  You could stick a fork in it, this day was done!

Tuesday morning was a little more relaxed.  We already knew where we were going and how to get there.  I made a point of relaxing in the gardens with Ana and sending the boys with Daddy to wreak mayhem out of earshot.  It was a great time to get my focus back on the Lord and my blood pressure back to normal.  I just breathed for 15 minutes. 

Today it was Robert's turn to take the kids while I got to do the 2 hour zip line tour All. By. My. Self.  I am still thanking Robert for that.  It was like Mother's Day, Christmas and the Fourth of July all wrapped up in two glorious hours.  I zipped over the lake.  I zoomed through the trees.  Every two minutes I told my tour guides how happy I was to be there.  I bet they were happy too, when my time was up . . .  It was the most restorative two hours of my mommy career.

Everything about Tuesday was wonderful.  I had such a better attitude.  My glasses had been fixed.  Ana slept on her stomach in the stroller.  Even the security guards and first time moms seemed to be smiling.

We listened to a great lecture by Ken Ham on why Genesis matters.  The information he gave on the genetics of natural selection was very tantalizing.  I had just about made up my mind to attend the genetics lecture in the afternoon.  Rob and Cy wound up attending it instead.  I took Alvin and Dee to the climbing course.  That was a lot of fun.  They got to gear up in a harness with a hard hat and gloves, just like utility workers!  We spent an hour clinging to ropes and perilous pieces of wood.  The boys liked to just let go and dangle like spiders from their harnesses.

 I got into an interesting conversation with a fellow mom.  She was an OB/GYN that had made the decision to stay home and educate her girls herself.  It was so great visiting with her.  Obstetrics and homeschooling are my two great passions!  (Beep, beep, beep! Excuse me while I shut off the Nerd Alert . . . )  Then I found out that she herself had been homeschooled up until the 7th grade!  I was ecstatic!  I have just been waiting to find a home educated doctor.  It is amazing how many professionals today were homeschooled.  I find it very encouraging.  Maybe my kids will move out of my basement someday.

By the time we left the museum that evening we were all brimming over with questions, discoveries, perspectives, memories and a few sunburns.

The pool was still closed when we returned to the hotel.  The kids had to settle with taking a bath instead.  I kept a close eye on the door while we relaxed together with Animal Planet.

It had been a great three days.  We had planned on flying out of Cincinnati in the morning, but it looked like the flight was going to be too full.  We decided to take a road trip instead!

Next stop,  Knoxville, Tennessee.

P. S.  I  just want to take a moment to love on my Awesome, Amazing and Amazingly Handsome husband.  He is such a terrific father.  He is spending his Father's Day right now playing Risk with an 8 year old, 6 year old and 5 year old.  If that isn't love and the patience of Job, I don't know what is.  I love you, Babe!