Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Case Of The Jellied Footprints

I'm taking a short break from my little travelogue to vent bring you up to speed with current events.

Since returning from our vacation, (stay tuned for the exciting conclusion, coming some time this Summer)  we have:

* Sent two boys off to Church Camp.  Cy had a bad asthma attack while there.  I thank Lori for the loan of her nebulizer.  I am so thankful for the great care he received from the guys in his dorm.  Bro. J. C., Justin, Billy and Beaux kept a close eye on him and kept me apprised of the situation.  Thank the Lord he didn't need to be hospitalized.

* Celebrated Alvin's 5th birthday with a wading pool party.

* Survived a week of random activities/Dr appointments that somehow managed to keep me away from home with all five kids all day every day for a week. 

* Conducted allergy tests on Cy.  He is allergic to Peas, Corn, Rice, Almonds, Cats and most trees, pollens, molds etc...  He is positively rejoicing over the Peas.  It's interesting, he doesn't like any of the foods that he tested positive to.  He is mildly allergic to peanuts.  He won't hardly touch a PBJ.  I am so thankful that gluten is not an issue. 

* Contracted a virus with non-specific rash, random fever, cough (for some including me, not everyone though), sore throat (Cy's throat is "inflated") general lethargy and chronic crankiness.  Although Strep Throat has not been ruled out entirely, mostly likely it is Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease.  I was joking that it could be Bubonic Plague, but then thought better of it.  Did you know the Plague killed at least 84 people in Madagascar last year?  I thought you should know, just in case you had run out of things to keep you awake at night.  You're welcome.

* There has been mystery afoot lately.  Outside doors are left wide open, lights left on all hours, shredded paper and chewed up crayons.  None of the inhabitants of this house could possibly be responsible.  They all have air-tight alibis.  But the most sinister happening would have to be The Case Of The Jellied Footprints.  It looked like a murder scene.  Thousands of innocent blackberries had been smeared all over the floor.  "WHO STEPPED IN THE JELLY?!!!" shrieked the horrified housemaid mother.  "You did, mommy", was the calm reply.  "WHAT DO YOU MEAN?  I DID NO SUCH THING!!!"   "Well, we noticed that someone stepped in jelly and we didn't know who, so we all put jelly on our shoes and made footprints to see which track matched.  None of our shoes could have done it, so it must have been yours." 

* You can go ahead and lock me up in the sanitarium.  I think the rest would do me good.

* I am currently battling to keep my spirits up and not give in to hopelessness, despair, guilt, depression, sarcasm, and/or Facebook addiction.  I've already lost the battle to sarcasm.

* The main problem seems to be that I am either too lazy or too selfish or (just possibly) too tired to keep on top of discipline for either myself or the kids.  I am trying yet again to re-organize and re-structure our lives so that everyone is kind, respectful, responsible, obedient, safe and happy.  I have no idea how to go about it or what to do next.  I am spiritually withering away because we are either too sick to go to church or I am too distracted for it to really sink in.  It seems like I spend all that effort to get us all dressed and ready for church, then I spend most my time in the nursery.

* God did give me a verse for today.  "I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go.  I will guide thee with mine eye.  Be ye not as the horse or as the mule which have no understanding..." Psalm 32:8, 9  I am asking, I know He will send me the answers.  It's funny, He had to call me a stubborn mule to get my attention. 

* So, this is my Summer so far.  It is far from the idyllic visions of splash pads and bubble blowing contests or happy students filling out worksheets in the heat of the day.  But, it is also a  far cry from the war and devastation tearing apart the Middle East.  In all, I have so much to be thankful for.  It is appalling that I would ever complain or feel that life is difficult.  God is so good.  I pray that we, who have been given so much would use all that He has given us for His glory and the blessing of those in our path.  That is what it's really all about anyways.

* Now to find my mop . . .