Saturday, April 19, 2014

I Love The Lord, Because . . .

I love the LORD, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications.

I haven't been able to get away from Psalms 116 and 118 this week.
 

Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.


The footnotes in my Bible describe how that Psalms 113-118 are traditionally sung before and after the Passover meal.  113 and 114 are sung before.  115-118 after.  "And when they had sung a hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives." Matt 29:30

 
The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow.

Then called I upon the name of the LORD; O LORD, I beseech thee, deliver my soul.


The first time I read this, I was overwhelmed by thinking of all that the Lord has brought me through.

 
Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; yea, our God is merciful.

The LORD preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me.

Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the LORD hath dealt bountifully with thee.

For thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears and my feet from falling.


From the lowest points to the highest, He has carried me.  "The just shall live by faith".  Certainly not my faith, for that is far too weak.  I can no more hold on to God than baby Ana can hold on to me.  It's His faithfulness that keeps me from falling.


And then, it began to dawn on me.  Jesus may very well have sung these words before he walked out of the warmth of fellowship into the blackness of rejection.


Precious in the sight of the LORD is  the death of his saints.

O LORD, truly I am thy servant, and thee son of thine handmaid:

I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving.

I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all the people.


I called upon the LORD in my distress: 
The LORD answered me

But it is only because Christ was forsaken when He cried out.
The LORD is on my side; 
I will not fear: 
what can man do unto me?

Can you picture Christ singing these words of faith and confidence?

They compassed me about...
But in the name of the LORD 
I will destroy them.

I shall not die,
 but live,
and declare the works of the
 LORD.

The LORD hath chastened me sore;
but he hath not given me over to death.

The stone which the builders rejected is become the head stone of the corner.

This is the LORD'S doing and it is marvelous in our eyes.

This is the day which the LORD has made;
we will rejoice and be glad in it.

I will never quote this verse the same way again.  So often embroidered on cheery wall hangings, so often quoted at the beginning of a day with nice weather.  That was the day ordained before the foundation of the world for it's Creator to die!  How we ought to rejoice!  This is a verse for our darkest days, not just the sunny ones.

Blessed be he that cometh in the name of 
the LORD.

Hmm, where have we heard that before?

But here is the verse that stops everything cold.  Picture the upper room: an empty cup of wine, crumbs from the unleavened bread, twelve men gathered in fellowship, one is missing.

...Bind the sacrifice with cords, 
even to the horns of the altar...

O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good; for his mercy endureth forever!


select verses from Psalms 116 and 118