Tuesday, November 5, 2013

No Sugar, But Pass The Chili!

Okay.

Wow!

The sugar free "diet" seems to be working, yay!!!

After about three days of eschewing white sugar and using Nectresse in my coffee, the foggy feeling began to lift.  I just began a little book entitled "Potatoes, Not Prozac".  I love the title!  And I love potatoes!  Hot Dog, this sounds like my sort of diet :-D  It addresses sugar sensitivity and how it can cause depression, adrenal fatigue, even alcoholism (alcohol converts into sugar).  I just haven't been eating right and that's been eating my lunch, so to speak.  Thank you to everyone for your love and concern and prayers for me.  I am so blessed to have such wonderful friends and family who care.  I'm going to be okay.  Just don't bring me any chocolate malts for awhile...

And speaking of eating...Our church had their annual hayride and chili cook off over the weekend.
All the boys wanted to enter their own pot of chili.  An idea I promptly quashed. I did offer to help them all collaborate on one Brother's Chili Entry.  Cy and Alvin pooped out in the first 5 minutes, which left me and Dee in the kitchen.  Cooking with one hungry boy is a lot easier than with 3.  My ingredients seem to stretch further.  Hmm, I wonder why?

We needed to leave in about an hour.  I didn't have a recipe to follow.  (I just spent two hours being first assist to my Darlin's top secret recipe operation.)  Dee and I were going rogue...

Dee's 1st Place Award Winning Chili

Take two ziplock bags of frozen, cooked, ground beef (and turkey maybe?)  toss into the microwave and nuke 2 minutes

Saute  one chopped onion and a couple cloves of garlic in oil, butter or bacon grease.

Add the partially thawed beef and finish heating.

Stir in 1 package WalMart brand chili mix, I can crushed tomatoes, 1/2 can of water and 1 can Rotel.

Taste.

Decide that is not enough seasoning and add 1 package of Aldi's brand fajita mix.

Taste.

Decide that is too much seasoning.

Panick.

Add a little more water, 1 large tablespoon (the kind in the kitchen drawer) of brown sugar, some chili powder and some cumin.

Taste once more.

Call it good, dump in crock pot, dash out the door.  

High five one happy 6 year old when he collects his prize.

I would like to make clear that Dee and I collaborated every step of the way, he made the final decisions.  I chopped, he stirred.  He gets his name on the certificate and the cans of Dr Thunder, I get the basket with toilet paper, Draino, plunger and scented candle.  We're both happy!