Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Why I Love Sick Days

Admittedly, we were super blessed through the Zombie Apocalypse Stomach Virus.  It just happened to strike on Friday night, leaving the entire days of Saturday and Sunday for recovery.  It doesn't always work out this way, I know.  Also, my husband was able to be home and help.  I recall a time not so long ago, when Rob was spending the summer in New York for an internship.  If anything had happened at that time, I would have been on my own.

Which is why I moved in with my mommy.

Anyways, Sunday turned out to be a very healing and restful day for me.  Throughout the day I jotted down reasons why Sick Days can be awesome:

1. It's a chance to hit the Reset button.  Have you ever noticed that illness seems to happen when we have been stretched to the maximum?  Sometimes it's the only way we're ever going to get a break.  And it purges our system and gives us a chance to start over with healthier foods.  Or not!

2. I am free to clear the schedule, no pressure to get anything done.  People become amazingly accommodating when the forceful ejection of partially dissolved foods is involved.

3. No need to wrangle with the kids over cleaning their plates.  No guilt over throwing half eaten bowls out.  I am NOT going save germ laden leftovers or risk cross contamination by getting plates mixed up.

4. I can write myself a RX to do yoga.

5. Or just take a nap.

6. Plenty of time to read!

7. I definitely have more gratitude that this is not a chronic, wasting illness.  And a renewed sense of how fragile our good health really is.  Chances are, we will all face a major illness at some time or another.  We'll definitely all die.  Time to commit to living well and for the glory of God while we can.

8. Cleaning when and how I want actually feels good.  Candles don't hurt, either.

9. It's OK to let the kids watch TV!

10. I can view the food I do chose to eat as medicine.  Rice pudding is known for it's curative powers.

Rice Pudding

Steam 1 cup dry rice in 2 cups salted, boiling water for 15 minutes.
Whisk two eggs and a cup (or a little more) of milk, add to rice with small amounts of sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.  Heat and stir until thick and creamy.  Eat.  Feel pampered.