Thursday, October 10, 2013

Obligatory What-We-Are-Doing-In-School Post

It would seem that the stomach bug has struck again.  This time it's Alvin.  He was complaining about a stomach ache last night after church.  I thought that he just wanted to get out of cleaning his room, so he got scant sympathy from me.
 Until he vomited all over the carpet.
 Every 30 minutes.
 For the next 10 hours.

Today, I am definitely dragging my tail feathers.  So much for my carefully crafted school routine!  But, that's OK.  That's why I home-school.  Even though I am feeling queasy myself, we were still able to do simplified versions of Math, History and English.

And let's not forget the quintessential Winnie the Pooh video.  It's not a sick day without our favorite bear stuffed with fluff. 

And now, because I've put it off long enough, I will go ahead and write about our regular school day routine.  I'm doing this now mainly because I am avoiding folding the aftermath of last nights laundry.  All 43 loads.

Without further ado...

TYPICAL DAY OF SCHOOL

10:00  Begin the day with prayer and Bible reading at the kitchen table.  We skip this part at our own peril.  I need all the Divine help I can get.  It only makes sense to seek His guidance before the day falls apart.  

The Bible reading morphs into our Morning Meeting.  This usually lasts 30-40 minutes.  It's easy to skip, but there is a lot of important work going on here.  First, we review our math facts with flash cards.  I hated this when I was a student.  Doing it as a teacher isn't much more fun.  But it really does make a difference in the boys speed and retention of their facts.  Next, we turn out attention to the large dry erase board that dominates one end of our dining room.  It's so large it blocks the view entirely from our 3 bay windows.  That actually might be a plus, though...  At the top I have written out the date. Ex; Thursday, October 10th, 2013  10-10-13  Day 17.  I have the older boys copy the date into their notebooks.  We then count out change to represent how many days of school we have had so far.  Alvin counts in pennies.  Cy and Dee try to find how many different ways our number can be represented.  We'll probably start making change before long.  Below the dates I have written out our poem and Scripture verse for the week.  We read these together and maybe discuss them a little or any interesting words that might be there.  Story It has a great collection of classic children's poems.  Robert Louis Stevenson and Emily Dickinson, the whole nine yards!  Here is an example of what we used the first week of school.

At the Seaside
~Robert Louis Stevenson

When I was down beside the sea
A wooden spade they gave to me
To dig the sandy shore.
My holes were empty like a cup,
In every hole the sea came up,
Till it could come no more.