Thursday, October 24, 2013

Life Day

I declare today, October 24th a celebration of Life: Past, Present and Future.

Past- Two years ago today, Elle left our dreams and entered our arms.  Life hasn't been the same since.  Happy Birthday, Boo!

This is also the anniversary of the day God spared my life, again.  Which leads to remembrances of that September day 3 years ago when a little life left us all too soon.  And I nearly followed.  Which reminds me of the three other babies we never got to hold.  Which reminds me of my dad, who only held one grand baby.  His birthday is coming up.

For the lives lived and loved in the Past, I am grateful

Present-  There are so many wonderful people in my life right now.  I want to be present today.  Purposefully living and loving every minute with the people that surround me right now.


What I read in The Screwtape Letters today seemed especially appropriate:

"The humans live in time, but our Enemy (from a devil's point of view, Christ) destines them to eternity.  He therefore, I believe, wants them to attend chiefly to two things, to eternity itself and .to that point of time which they call the Present.  For the Present is the point at which time touches eternity.  Of the present moment, and of it only, humans have an experience analogous to the experience which our Enemy has of reality as a whole; in it alone freedom and actuality are offered them.  He would therefore have them continually concerned either with eternity (which means being concerned with Him) or with the Present- either meditating on their eternal union with, or separation from Himself, or else obeying the present voice of conscience, bearing the present cross, receiving the present grace, giving thanks for the present pleasure."

That means inhaling the fluffy golden curls of my two year old.
Making pancakes, without panicking.
Sitting in the fall sunshine.
Playing a pre-school game with my pre-schooler.
Not worrying about the Future.

Future-  My tap dancing Reindeer reminds me to celebrate the hope of Future Life.
Her life, (which really is Present).
My life, which is hid in Christ so that whether I live or die, I am hid in Christ.
The foundation of future generations, which is being laid now.
Eternal Life, with Christ

In a twist of irony, here I am, sitting at the computer, dressed in a "lively" red and white polka dot blouse with pearl earrings, blogging about life, while my kids pound on a locked bedroom door.  Time to get out there and actually live it!

P.S.  This is the song I want at my funeral!

Joyful, joyful, we adore Thee, God of glory Lord of love;
Hearts unfold like flowers before Thee, Opening to the sun above,
Melt the clouds of sin and sadness, Drive the dark of doubt away;
Giver of immortal gladness, Fill us with the light of day.

All Thy works with joy surround Thee, Earth and heaven reflect Thy rays,
Stars and angels sing around Thee, Center of unbroken praise.
Field and forest, vale and mountain, Flowery meadow flashing sea,
Chanting bird and flowing fountain, Call us to rejoice in Thee.

Thou art giving and forgiving, Ever blessing, ever blest,
Wellspring of the joy of living, ocean depth of happy rest!
Thou our Father, Christ our Brother, All who live in love are Thine;
Teach us how to love each other, lift us to the Joy divine.

Mortals, join the happy chorus Which the morning stars began;
Father love is reigning o'er us, Brother love binds man to man.
Ever singing, march we onward, Victors in the midst of strife,
Joyful music leads us Sunward In the triumph song of life,