Saturday, September 14, 2013

Potato What?

Last night I was craving potato rolls SO. BADLY.  I needed potato rolls.  When you have crockpot pork roast with apples, carrots and onions in gravy over brown rice, there have to be potato rolls nestled right next to them on the plate, with a glacier of butter melting in creamy rivulets down the side...

So, I began mixing the dough as soon as I got home from my errands.  I was hoping it wouldn't take too long, since I was getting a late start.

First, I creamed the 2/3 c. sugar with the 2/3 c. shortening (butter flavored, if you must know)
I then added 1 cup of mashed potatoes (frozen in a ziplock bag for just such an occasion), 2 tsp salt, and 2 eggs.

Next, I warmed 1 1/3 cups of water in preparation for the addition of 2 packages of yeast.  I use the jars of yeast, so I know 2 pkgs equal 4 1/2 tsp.  There's just one problem.  I don't have but maybe half a teaspoon in the bottom of the jar.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I frantically rip through the panty hoping, nay praying that I had bought a new jar of yeast on my last trip to the store.  I could almost remember putting it on my list, searching the aisles and lovingly placing that amber colored jar in my cart.

I must have just dreamed that I did it.

Evidently I was praying out loud, "Please let there be some yeast in here somewhere."  Cy thought that was hilarious since he was coincidentally listening to a Lyrical Life Science song about fungi.  Homeschoolers are such dorks...

But, in answer to my prayer, inspiration struck.  For what should fall under my panic stricken gaze but a can of double action baking powder!

Could I?  Dare I?  Has anyone ever made rolls into muffins before?

I sprinted to my trusty search engine.  A cursory glance revealed that no one in the top ten google search had anything helpful to add. But I did learn the appropriate ratio of baking powder to flour for muffins.

So, here's what I did: Instead of water and yeast, I added 7 1/2 tsp (that's 2 Tbs+1 1/2 tsp) baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1 1/3 cups genuine sour milk (Kum and Go lied about the expiration date).  Finally I stirred in 6 cups of flour to make a thick batter.  There was just enough to fill 2 large (greased) muffin pans, 24 muffins in all.

25 minutes at 375 degrees later, voila!  Soft, sweet, moist, potato muffins with glaciers of butter melting into creamy rivulets down the side.  And I didn't even "knead" to let it rise!  ;-)