Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Homeward Bound

We're baaack!

We had a fantastic time with my Kimball cousins, Cary, Lydia, Victoria, Isaac, Rebekah and Jacob.  Victoria is an amazing photographer and has a very entertaining post about the past week over at Sister's Point Of View .

I hope to put some of our own pictures up in the near future, but first I need to figure out how to work the camera.  After a solid 24 hours in airports and planes with 4 frantically exhausted children, my brain hurts...

Most flights to and from Alaska aren't that traumatic.  Because of my husband's job, we were flying standby.  That in itself is a grand adventure, let me tell you.

We got up Sunday morning, dressed, packed, ate and headed out to church. Landmark Baptist Church of Anchorage has lunch in between their two services.  Afterwards we ran a few errands with the cousins.  Then they dropped us off at the airport.  American Airlines only has one flight out per day, around 9 pm.  It was packed.  We tried to "zed" out on Alaska Air.  That flight was sold out as well.  We did make the 12:30 am flight, though.  3 hours later brought us to Seattle.  I learned some important tips there:

 *If you need a place to crash in Seattle's airport, the children's play room has nice, cushioned benches.  And at 4:30 in the morning, it is virtually bereft of screaming children, so you'll need to bring your own.
* Starbucks coffee is better than Seattle's Best.  I highly recommend the french toast bagel with an inch of cream cheese in the middle.  It keeps the kids lips stuck together for awhile...

Next stop, Dallas.  The 7:30 flight was booked up.  But, the 9 am flight had room for two.  Alvin and I took that one, with Elle in my lap.  Robert and the older boys waited two more hours with the hope they might(!) make the next one.

Once in Dallas I had just enough time to beg seats on the next flight to Tulsa and put Rob on the waiting list for the flight after that.  Than we grabbed some Micky D's to scarf before boarding.

Tulsa Time at last!  We landed around 5:15.  Robert sent word that they were on the next plane, arriving at 7:40.  Just a few more hours to kill.  I pulled out the video camera and watched the videos that Robert had taken throughout the week.  The rafting video just about made me seasick.  Finally, it was time for Robert to land.  We found the perfect vantage point to watch the plane land, taxi and get connected with the gate.  Ahh!  Sweet reunion!  We all drug ourselves into Taco Bell. (I had cleaned out the fridge before we left.)  We made it home about 10 o'clock last night.  I looked like the model for the Ghillie Suit (Sister's Point of View) wearing a skirt. 

Our luggage has yet to arrive, so I need to go scare up some toothbrushes before we head out to the dentist.

In the meantime, go check out Vikki's blog.  You'll be glad you did :-)