Friday, July 26, 2013

Of Habits and Destiny

I do believe I have been suffering from "mommy burnout" for awhile.  Everything seems to take such tremendous effort, that more often that not I simply don't bother.  And that's a problem.  I have let many essential habits slip in myself, and not formed good habits in my children.  And I think that is making my job 20 times harder.

I picked up my copy of A Charlotte Mason Companion yesterday, looking for some pearls of wisdom to help me combat this.  This is what I found:

Sow an act, reap a habit,
sow a habit, reap a character,
sow a character, reap a destiny.

                                                   Thomas a Kempis

This is very, very deep to my way of thinking.  I copied it out with a Sharpie on a scrap of pink paper and posted it on the fridge.

The habit we are going to work on this and next week is:
1. Clean the boys room before meals.  No dinner until it's tidy.
2. If I notice a boy wandering around without certain articles of clothing, inquire as to it's whereabouts.  Indubitably they will be found cluttering the floor.

I hope to make Monday my Habit of the Week post.